Did you need a place to learn about bonsai hands on & in person?
Keep on reading to find out how!
Beginners & Intermediates Bonsai Class
Every 1st and 3rd Saturday of Each Month
From 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM (Noon)
Store Opens at 8:00 am - Come early to find a good seat!
Instructed by Tino De La Cruz in the Main Greenhouse
$20.00 per Walk In Session
$150.00 for 10 Non-Consecutive Pre-Paid Sessions
Walk Ins are Always Welcome!
Please Check In at the Sales Desk to Sign Up!
2023 Bonsai Workshop Schedule
January 7 & January 21
February 4 & February 18
March 4 & March 18
April 1 & April 15
May 6 & May 20
June 3 & June 17
July 1 & July 15
August 5 & August 19
September 2 & September 16
October 7 & October 21
November 4 & November 18
December 2 & December 16
For those that need to get some bonsai trees, tools, wire, and other supplies,
please come in before class starts to purchase what you need to practice hands on!
House of Bonsai opens at 8:00 am but come into the Main Greenhouse
at least 10 minutes before class starts for shopping assistance!
All Participants Must:
- Come to the bonsai nursery earlier if they don't already have their own bonsai tree and/or tools to get some before the workshop starts. The store opens at 8:00 am on Saturdays, so participants have up to an hour to grab something beforehand.
- Bring one or two trees that are either pre-bonsai or one that has been worked on, but has some challenging issues that they would like advice on.
- Bring their own tools --- at least a pair of sharp fine tipped scissors.
- Have looked pretty hard at their tree(s) and have some improvement ideas already in mind.
- Understand that these are in-person and hands-on style sessions. The instructor will work with each participant individually to arrive at a plan and then coach them on how to do it.
Various Bonsai Topics Covered Such As:
- Trimming and Branch Ramification
- Repotting, Soil Preparation, Tool Care and Tool Sharpening
- Preventative Care: Identification of Common Pests & Plant Diseases and How to Treat
- Dig Up Tree from Ground and Pot It for Bonsai Training
- Seasonal Bonsai Care: Watering, Fertilization, Sunlight Amounts and Pests
- Wiring Techniques for Popular Bonsai Styles
- Restyling or Starting Over
- Reviewing Pot Styles and Pot Selection for Your Bonsai Tree
- Creating a Bonsai from Nursery Stock
- Air-Layer Separation and Replanting
Our goal is to lead participants to do all of the work on their trees.
However, if asked, the instructor will step in for difficult or risky steps.